Teacher negativity


As a new teacher fresh from subbing for half a year one of the things I was not ready for was the mix of different types of teachers in my school. I started out eating my lunch in the staff lounge as a way to get to know my colleagues. That soon stopped when I realized what a negative space the staff lounge was. While there were times of sharing about our lives and families it was far less than the times with negative rants about students and situations in the classroom. It is still this way which is why I continue to eat my lunch in my classroom even after 5 years at the same school. I was finding myself complaining and joining in to have something to relate to. I don't like the teacher I become when I go to the staff lounge.

As teachers we have times when we had a student be extremely difficult or situation that comes up that drives us crazy. How should we handle it? First, I think we all need something OUTSIDE of school that helps us release stress. Maybe its the gym or getting a cup of coffee with a friend but whatever it is it needs to take your mind off of your difficult day. I also think you need to be going in search of help or advice if you are talking about a problem in your classroom. Remember that this could be a space of sharing and positive intent. Don't contribute to the rants instead offer help and maybe the effect will trickle through your staff lounge.

While I am no expert at communication and changing a whole staff lounge atmosphere these are just a couple things I have reflected on while making this meme. My daughter is the little girl in the photo and I found it a bit funny that a moody toddler's grumpy face perfectly illustrated how I feel when I hear negative comments in the staff lounge.

We could all use a little positivity!

Comments

  1. Sierra!
    I am so glad that you brought this to so many people's attention. I too have been teaching for around 5 years and made the choice to eat in my classroom due to the negativity in the staff room. It can be so toxic. At my school we have had conversations every year around respect for children and their privacy and I find it is still a dumping ground. Not only about kids, but other adults as well. I love that you mention we need something outside of school to release stress. I couldn't agree with you more! For me that has become yoga! Grad school is throwing off my schedule quite a bit, but i'm still trying to go when I can. I think it would help to have both para educators and cert teachers come together and create some norms for the kind of place people want the staff room to be. I think it could also be helpful to have an accountability buddy. This person could bring it to your awareness when you're spewing negativity energy and help the conversation take a more constructive and productive turn. Thanks for sharing your thoughts! #uwdiglit

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! It reminded me of one of the first scenes from Up the Down Staircase. I always have mixed feelings about situations like that, as it can be somewhat therapeutic to rant about something and get it out of your system. But I think the problem is that that's not the mindset that you find in those situations. People don't complain and then go "but what can you do? They're kids and I love them!" They instead develop resentment and slip into the negative mindset that you discussed. I think your idea of venting frustrations through other activities is a very effective solution to that dilemma.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great image. Can you say a bit more about your creative process? How you made this and how you made your decisions as you made it? Who is your audience? I love what you've said here about why you created this. I would love to hear a bit more about using things like meme for conveying ideas and feelings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Play Ransom

Facts Matter