Teacher Collaboration Online

One thing to know about me I LOOOVVVEEE Teachers Pay teachers!

Reading Chapter 4 this week in Rheingold's Net Smart I couldn't help but think about all of the online collaboration opportunities for teachers out there. I am an open door teacher. Any one can come into my classroom looking for resources or advice at any time. The kindergarten teachers in my school are all this way. However I have been at schools that are not like this. They hoard their resources for fear of never having enough or because they bought it. I don't understand that!The more the merrier for me. If I can save someone from paying a couple bucks on TPT (Teachers Pay Teachers) and they get to use it in their classroom I am going to share willingly. Now for any one reading this that hasn't heard of TPT it is a website where teachers can sell or give away resources they have put together. It can be in any subject and teachers all over the world can use it as a customer or a seller. Teachers that become sellers often are popular social media personalities as well. They advertise their products for sale and offer freebies as well.

Working in a district that supports some supplementation TPT has been a tremendous resource. It has honestly helped me the most with the organization and routines in my classroom. Reading about Rheinglold's ideas of "What Collaboration Theory Teaches Us About Life Online Today" I was reminded why Teacher social media personalities also do so well on TPT. They are really good at the basics of collaboration theory. These teachers often contribute publicly without expecting payment or anything in return in terms of a reward. They provide freebies which gets followers excited and keeps them feeling as though they are not always having to buy. Often sharing ideas for crafts and activities that don't require a purchase. They also seek opportunities to connect with strangers and will write about common problems teachers have that can span across multiple grades. Just because a seller is teaching a specific grade doesn't mean their resources and posts are only for teachers of that grade level.

I have often thought how I would love to have my own but no way! It is way to much extra work. I am a proud supporter and customer. If someone can do all this amazing work creating a resource that I always needed but never could then I am happy to spend a little money on it. I will use it for years to come so the pay off with my students is worth it.


Now in terms of sharing without needing any reward, SeeSaw is another website I have used for a couple years. SeeSaw allows parents to see what we are doing in the classroom and allows students to share their best work. This year I discovered the activities that teachers can upload for all to use and share for free. You then can share them with your class and they do activities that they turn in online only. I love this one especially because it is all online and free. Communication with parents is a bonus!

I think in this digital age resources like this give teachers more control over our teaching. It allows for collaboration across the world and opens the doors for sharing. I always look forward to finding out about another resource to encourage the open door mentality.

Comments

  1. I've been hearing about teachers paying teachers but haven't clicked around there much yet. There are so many great avenues now for collaboration. the #kinderchat hashtag on Twitter has been a good place for teachers to share practice and resources. This blog isn't as active as it was (She's moved into a district position) but even without ipads, there are some great resources here: https://iteachwithipads.net/ Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Weekly Play Ransom

Facts Matter

Teacher negativity